Sunday, August 31, 2008

Picking A Career: A High School Sophomore's View

You might say I should have decided which career I will be following for the rest of my life by now. Well, you know what? I haven't. It's a freaking hard decision. Some of my friends made their decisions with ease, but some did not. What is ridiculous is, the latter category has all the people who are in top 5% of their classes.

And ironically, their academic excellence is what makes their (and my) decisions hard. For example, I am an academically good student. I take honors and AP courses at school, and have been doing pretty well with that. I have good grades in both math and language (oh well, I'm an international student, so an A- in English might be a good grade too). I am an arts person, playing the flute in band and drawing well. So, which career should I be persuing? I don't know. I don't like any of the subjects I am taking at school, I was never into playing an instrument, and I would die than be an artist. Awesome.

I try my best to find a counsellor to talk about choosing a career. Not successful. What they say: "try your best to find a career that you think is best for you. What's your favourite subject? What are you good at?" Oh hey, I don't have a favourite subject and I'm good at all of them! The counsellors go dumb and say something like "oh, we should think about that." They can't help me actually choose a career because they chose a wrong career. They are the bad examples.

No comments: